Beautiful Love Tutorial Lesson
Victor Young’s Beautiful Love is one of the most popular standards amongst jazz musicians. Virtually all of the jazz piano greats have recorded a version – some of PianoGroove’s favourites can be found below in the recommended listening tab.
Beautiful Love is commonly played as both a ballad and as a medium to up-tempo tune. In this lesson we create an arrangement for both of these styles. The form of the tune repeats so we are going to play very freely and ballad-like on the first time through and then switch to more of an uptempo swing style for the repeat.
The lesson starts with the usual left hand voicings and melody and then we build bigger voicings throughout the lesson.
We’re going to look at some interesting chord substitutions and also some rhythmic devices you can use to create a syncopated swing feel.
It would be worth checking out the lesson on block chords as we use this style of voicing extensively in the swing arrangement of this tune.
There's many great recordings of this tune... listening to the masters of jazz is an essential part of your journey so make sure you dedicate a good proportion of your piano time to listening! Here's a few of our favourite recordings of Beautiful Love:
- Kenny Barron - Beautiful Love - with George Mraz & Ben Riley
- Bill Evans - Beautiful Love
- Hank Jones - Beautiful Love - with Dave Holland on Bass
- Art Tatum - Beautiful Love
On Beautiful Love…..Any chance you can make us your usual nice clean lead sheet to work from? Yours are so much nicer than the others. Leaves me more room for my own notes.
awesome thanks for sharing these records Lori!
Hey Lori, sure thing… I’ll get this done today and send it you via email 🙂
Hi Hayden any idea when we can expect the transcription for this tune?
Hayden, there seems to be a problem with loading videos this morning.
Hello Hayden.How much jazz standars should i learn to do a performance of some type?The Minum… thanks have a great day
Great tutorial as always 🙂
I do have some questions:
1. On 6:28 in the tutorial in the part when you reharmonize, I’m struggling to get to the E on the left hand. In your opinion what is the best way to get around this?
2. On 7:19 in the tutorial for the DM7 chord, do you simply voice the chord in the left hand with D,A Notes and on the right hand you simply play F, A,C,E and E in the note in the melody?
Also, it seems that after you play the chord with the melody note you hit the DM7 rootless chord.
Is there any specific reason to play the chord then play the same chord again rootless?